The Zantiks AD unit is ideal for measuring the behaviour of small fish and small rodents.
Zantiks units are increasingly popular with labs worldwide. All the different types of unit are built along the same principles, enabling high throughput and easy-to-run experiments. The benefits of choosing Zantiks are that each unit:
- Provides an isolated and stable environment for consistent results
- Is networked and controlled via the web browser of any device
- Generates live video view, provides real-time video recording
- Uses the Zanscript language for experiment specification
- Provides real-time results processing and output in .csv format
- Has an integrated camera, computer, experimental chamber and built-in stimuli
- Takes up little laboratory space as it is compact
- Requires only 12V power and a network connection
The Zantiks AD unit is suitable for:
- Tracking fish in experimental environments (e.g. startle, pre-pulse inhibition 'PPI', novel open field, Y-maze, Conditioned Place Preference 'CPP').
- Training fish and mice (with food reward) in operant tasks, such as discrimination reversal learning, 5-choice serial time task, or match to sample.
- Tracking multiple singly housed fish like Pavlovian avoidance learning (mild electric shock) or CPP.
Find out how Caroline Brennan's lab, at Queen Mary University of London, used the Zantiks AD to measure 2-5 choice discrimination as well as matching-to-sample from their poster at SfN 2016, The use of zebrafish to identify genes affecting working memory and age-related cognitive decline.
Please contact us if you have anything specific in mind. 3D shoal tracking will be available shortly.
Zantiks AD kit
Overall unit size (external, approx. mm): 220 width, 300 length, 500 height
Tank size (internal, mm): 140 width, 200 length, 150 height (water to 100)
|Integrated unit||Tank inserts||Built-in stimuli|
|computer||3 lengthwise dividing inserts||overhead lights|
|camera||3 widthwise dividing inserts||screen|
|tank / cage and inserts||food magazine insert||mild electric shock|
|brass feeder mechanism||5-aperture insert||solid and liquid delivery|
|2 metal shocking plates|
A set of tank / cage inserts for either fish or mice are supplied, these will create different environments for testing, for example a food hopper and 5 apertures for the 5-choice serial reaction time task and arena dividing inserts for aversive learning.
The five aperture and food hopper inserts are used together in one tank to create the experimental environment for the 5-CSRTT in zebrafish. The food hopper insert is designed to form an area for the fish to enter and collect food reward, without the food escaping into the remainder of the tank, as well as an entry point for initiating trials. The five aperture insert creates five distant entry points at the opposite end of the tank from food delivery. The five holes act in a similar fashion to the five nose poke holes in a rodent version of the task.
The dividing inserts are used to create four separate testing compartments for tracking four fish in one unit, as required in CPP study on zebrafish. Stimuli are presented from the integrated screen below the testing tank. The stimuli can be comprised of colour, shapes, or images and be both biased and unbiased in presentation (see the video below where green and blue light stimuli are used).
If you would like a different insert please contact us. Further inserts and tanks can be supplied on request, e.g. Y-maze
Racks for multiple units are under development.
- Solid and liquid delivery – both solid and liquid food reward, as well as chemical liquid stimuli (ie alarm substance) can be supplied when specified by the Zanscript script.
- Vibratory stimulus – vibration length, strength and pattern can be controlled with ms accuracy for startle and PPI studies.
- Visual stimuli – supplied on a screen from underneath the tank. These can be specified with sizes, shapes, colours, locations and bitmaps. As they are displayed via a screen, response times and update times can be controlled up to the 60Hz refresh rate of the display.
- Overall illumination – supplied from above the tank. This can be used to provide ambient lighting, circadian rhythm and/or light flashes to elicit startle responses. Colour brightness and duration can be specified with ms accuracy.
- Aversive mild electric shock – supplied with controllable voltage and duration.
How to Operate
The Zantiks AD is simple to operate. Fully networked, Zantiks units are supplied with a router and controlled via a web browser, allowing users to operate them from their own phone, tablet, laptop, PC, Mac or Chromebook. From the web browser on your device you can edit scripts, start and stop chosen services, view live video, download results (.csv files).
To operate a Zantiks unit connect to the same network as the unit and open up the home page of the Zantiks unit, the Zantiks Control Console, by typing in the IP address of the unit in the browser (this is displayed on the AD's screen when you boot up). From this home page you can operate all your networked units.
For details on how to use the Zantiks Control Console on your device, look at the Zantiks Control Console manual.
High-throughput studies are easy to conduct with multiple units. All units are operated via the same web browser and can run identical experiments consecutively
Tracking and video recording
Tracking of up to 4 single housed zebrafish, or similarly sized model organisms, can be carried out in the AD using the tank inserts.
Scripts can be controlled for operant studies by the presence of the fish in a zone or for mice a nose poke to a zone, and they can be programmed to deliver real-time processed results which can be downloaded from the unit as a .csv file. The summary data that can be collected includes measuring distance moved, time spent in arenas / zones, number of times a zone is entered.
Video recordings may be made simultaneously and these can be downloaded from the unit as a .avi file.
An adult zebrafish in the AD unit, 5-choice serial reaction time task
A mouse explores the AD unit, the cage has food hopper and 5-choice inserts