The smaller Zantiks MWP helps standardise behavioural phenotyping in model organisms such as larval zebrafish, Drosophila and Daphnia. To use the Zantiks unit you need a small space on your lab bench, a nearby power supply, and your own device (smartphone/tablet/ laptop/PC/ Mac)
Zantiks MWP kit
- Integrated unit (approx. 270mm H; 220mm D; 160mm W) with (see Figure 1.b.):
- Zanscript (Zantiks software)
- Built-in features / stimuli (screen, vibrating motor, overhead ‘house’ lights)
- Temperature control*
- A 12V power cable
- Zantiks router**
- Ethernet cable
- Fits standard multiwell plates and Petri dishes***
* Currently we can control the temperature of the enclosed air in the MWP system. The range we can control within is from about 5 to 15 degrees Centigrade avoe the ambient temperature of the laboratory.
** Zantiks router is supplied with the first unit, this is usually a Cisco router with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. Subsequent units can be networked to this router, using a network switch if necessary.
*** Multiwell plates and Petri dishes not supplied.
Behavioural studies in the MWP include:
- Locomotor activity
- Circadian rhythm monitoring
- Toxicity, phenotyping and drug screening
- Startle response, habituation and prepulse inhibition
Setting up the MWP
- Place the MWP on a stable surface close to a power socket and away from disturbance.
- Insert the 12V power supply cable into the side socket of the MWP and plug it into the mains socket (see illustration below).
- Connect the ethernet cable at the side of the MWP and plug this into any of the 4 slots available in the LAN section of the router.
- Turn on the router and turn on the mains socket for the Zantiks unit. When the Zantiks unit powers on, a text screen will load and scroll across the screen in the unit.
- The unit’s IP address will be displayed on the screen each time the unit is turned on.
- Using any browser-enabled device (smartphone/tablet/laptop/PC/Mac):
- Go your device’s network settings and connect to the wifi network “Zantiks”.
- Type in the network password, which is initially set up as: behaviour, simply
- Go to the address bar of the web browser and type in the IP address for your Zantiks unit (as mentioned above)
- Your web browser should now display the Zantiks Console page.