The Zantiks AD helps standardise behavioural experiments in animal models such as adult zebrafish and mice. To use the Zantiks unit you need a small space on your lab bench, a nearby power supply, and your own device (smartphone/tablet/ laptop/PC/ Mac).
Zantiks AD kit
- Integrated unit (approx. 500mm H; 300mm D; 220mm W) with (see Figure 1.a.):
- Tank / cage
- Built in stimuli (overhead ‘house lights’, screen, mild electric shock, solid and liquid delivery)
- Zanscript (Zantiks software)
- One tank (approx. 150mm H; 200mm D; 140mm W)
- Tank inserts to create multiple different arenas (see Figure 1)
- Arena lengthwise dividing inserts x 3
- Arena widthwise dividing inserts x 3
- Food magazine insert x 1
- 5-aperture insert x 1
- 2 metal shocking plates with cable and testing LED strip
- Peristaltic pump unit
- A 12V power cable
- Zantiks router* and power cable
- Ethernet cable
*One Zantiks router is supplied with the first unit, this is usually a Cisco router with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. Subsequent units can be networked to this router, using a network switch if necessary.
Behavioural studies in the AD include:
- 5-choice serial reaction time task (5-CSRTT)
- Matching to sample
- Reversal learning
- Aversion learning
- Startle response, habituation and prepulse inhibition
- Conditioned place preference
Setting up the AD
- Place the AD unit on a stable surface close to a power socket and away from disturbance.
- Insert the 12V power supply cable into the back of the AD and plug it into the mains socket (see Figure 4a).
- Connect the ethernet cable at the back of the Zantiks unit and plug this into any of the 4 slots available in the LAN section of the router (see illustration below).
- Turn on the router and turn on the mains socket for the Zantiks unit. When the Zantiks unit powers on, a text screen will load and scroll across the screen in the unit.
- The unit’s IP address will be displayed on the screen each time the unit is turned on.
- Using any browser-enabled device (smartphone/tablet/laptop/PC/Mac):
- Go to your device’s network settings and connect to the wifi network “Zantiks”.
- Type in the network password, which is initially set up as: behaviour, simply
- Go to the address bar of the web browser and type in the IP address for your Zantiks unit (as mentioned above)
- Your web browser should now display the Zantiks Console page.